27 April 2012

Victims' Rights Run & Walk

George Mason University hosted it's 16th Annual Victims' Rights Run & Walk this afternoon.  The event raises awareness and support for victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault, and other crimes.  It is part of a series of events during National Crime Victims' Rights Week.

I have been an employee here at Mason (Go Patriots!) for going on 4 years now, and I have signed up to participate in this walk every year.  As is often the case with having small children at home, I have gotten pulled away to tend to the needs of my family each year, and I have not been able to actually walk/run with my department.  

Not this year, baby!  This year, despite having been on my death bed all week, hacking up lungs and all, I walked with a group of co-workers ("Team U-Hall").  














 It was a perfect day... sunny, 60 degrees, with a chilly wind.  It was so nice to get out of the office for almost 2 hours mid-day and support a cause that deserves as much attention as it can possibly get: Victims' Rights.

I know several people who have been personally affected by physical and/or some form of sexual abuse.  This is a cause very near and dear to me, and it has been a central theme over the last 4-5 months.  Not on purpose, actually.  Just random pieces that are forming a bigger puzzle for me.  I have written papers about this topic, I will be giving a presentation on teen dating violence next week, and today, I walked for victims.  While all of these things were not planned around or because of each other, I think I have found a calling; a cause that I want to throw myself behind.

What are some causes you hold dear?

Happy Friday, friends!!!

Kindly~

Meghan

1 comment:

  1. You have such a way with words Meg! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this little blog. Comments make me feel appreciated. And who doesn't like that? ;)

Kindly- Meghan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...